Typenotes Issue #1 explores all things type-based from a passionate and knowledgeable standpoint, drawing on Fontsmith’s in-house expertise as well as hearing from voices from around the creative industries worldwide such as Lance Wyman, APFEL, Craig Oldham, Hey Studio and Why Not Associates to name but a few.
Issue #1 Features:
- In-depth exploration of type in film and television
- Ad-land’s use of lettering to sell and persuade
- An exploration of the legacy of Herb Lubalin and Tom Carnase
- Icon designs through the ages
- Designing for cassette tapes
- How typographers create optical illusions
- Photo essays
- And so much more!
Delving into the minutiae of drawing type, the magazine also offers an in-depth look at designing more unusual punctuation points.
Elsewhere, a specially designed pullout explores how best to design for luxury clients, and examines how different high-end brands use their fonts.
Each issue comes with a free typographic terms poster designed by Exeter-based studio Believe In.